Cuban Key Lime Pie
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
30galletas maria or graham crackers (about 2 cups), finely crushed
6 Tbspunsalted butter, melted
14 ozcan condensed milk
1/2 cfresh key lime juice (or bottled key lime juice)
1 Tbsplime zest (optional)
·freshly whipped cream
·meringue- your favorite recipe
How to Make Cuban Key Lime Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-10″ pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cracker crumbs and melted butter until the mixture holds together. Fill the prepared pan with the crumb mixture and press into the bottom and sides of the pan to form the crust. If necessary, use a measuring cup to level the bottom and sides. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Beat the egg yolks on medium-high until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed and slowly add the condensed milk then the Key lime juice until well incorporated. Mix in lime zest, if using. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- If using meringue topping - increase oven temp to 375ºF. Mound meringue on top of filling, making sure to go up to the edges. Bake until lightly browned - check after a few minutes. Cool and serve.
- If using whipped cream topping - whip cream with a few drops vanilla extract. Mound on top of chilled pie. Serve.
- NOTE - to speed things up, used a pre-made graham cracker crust.