Cream Cheese Pastry Dough
How to Make Cream Cheese Pastry Dough
- 1--8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
--4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
--1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
--1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
--1/2 teaspoon coarse salt or sea salt
- 2In the bowl of the food processor fitted with a metal blade, place the butter, cream cheese, and cream; process until thoroughly combined and smooth.
Add the flour and salt and pulse until just combined and dough just will come together in a ball.
- 3Generously flour a work surface and place the prepared ball of dough on it. Divide the dough into two (2) equal portions. Flatten the dough into disc shape and wrap with plastic wrap. Place dough into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- 4If the dough has been refrigerated longer than 1 hour, take it out of the refrigerator approximately 15 minutes before rolling.
- 5Flour your hands generously. Tilt the rolling pin and sprinkle it with flour as you rotate the rolling pin. On a lightly floured surface, form pastry into a ball; shape into a flattened round. (For two-crust pie, divide pastry into halves and shape into two rounds.) Roll pastry 2 inches larger than an inverted pie plate with a floured rolling pin. Try to control the rolling pin and move from the center out. Don't use the rolling pin to go back and forth. Use your rolling pin something like this: Roll North, pick up the pin, roll Northeast, pick up dough and move counter-clockwise, repeat. You want the crust as evenly rolled as you can.
- 6Fold pastry into quarter folds and ease into pie plate, pressing firmly against bottom and sides of pie plate.