CORNMEAL PIE CRUST
- 2 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp
- 3/4 tsp
- 3/4 c
- very cold butter,cut into cubes
- 1/4 c
- very cold shortening,cut into cubes
- 8-10 Tbsp
- very cold apple cider(or you can use water if you like)
How to Make CORNMEAL PIE CRUST
- 1Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Push mixture to 1 side of bowl.
- 3Drizzle 1 Tbsp. apple cider along edge of mixture in bowl. Using a fork, gently toss a small amount of flour mixture into cider just until dry ingredients are moistened; move mixture to other side of bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining cider and flour mixture.
- 4Gently press dough into two flat disks. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- 5TIPS when ready to fill and bake: Place 1 Cornmeal Crust Dough disk on a lightly floured piece of wax paper; sprinkle dough lightly with flour. Top with another sheet of wax paper. Roll dough to about 1/8-inch thickness (about 11 inches wide).
- 6Remove and discard top sheet of wax paper. Starting at 1 edge of dough, wrap dough around rolling pin, separating dough from bottom sheet of wax paper as you roll. Discard bottom sheet of wax paper. Place rolling pin over a 9-inch glass pie plate, and unroll dough over pie plate. Gently press dough into pie plate.
- 7Roll remaining Cornmeal Crust Dough disk as directed in Step 5, rolling dough to about 1/8-inch thickness (13 inches wide). Remove and discard wax paper, and place dough over filling; fold edges under, sealing to bottom crust, and crimp.