Combination Vegetable Shortening & Butter Pastry Recipe
How to Make Combination Vegetable Shortening & Butter Pastry Recipe
- --2 1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour, plus extra for rolling
--1 teaspoon salt
--1 tablespoon granulated sugar
--1/2 cup chilled vegetable shortening
--1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
--6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, process the flour, salt, and sugar until combined. Add the vegetable shortening and process until the mixture has the texture of coarse sane, about 10 seconds. Scatter the butter pieces over the flour mixture and process with 1-second pulses until butter bits are no larger than small peas, about 10 pulses. turn the mixture into a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold to mix. Press down on the dough with the broad side of the spatula until the dough sticks together, adding up to 2 tablespoons more water if the dough does not come together.
- Flour your hands generously. Tilt the rolling pin and sprinkle it with flour as you rotate the rolling pin. Divide the dough into two balls and flatten each into a 4-inch dish. Wrap both separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before rolling. On a lightly floured surface, form pastry into a ball; shape into a flattened round.
- (For two-crust pie, divide pastry into halves and shape into two rounds.) Roll pastry 2 inches larger than an inverted pie plate with a floured rolling pin. Fold pastry into quarter folds and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- Makes 8- or 9-inch two-crust pie.