COCONUT MERINGUE PIE
Peggi Anne Tebben
3egg yolks, beaten (reserve whites)
3/4 cflaked coconut, divided
1 1/2 Tbspbutter
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1*basic pastry shell, baked & cooled
1/4 tsp+ 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 c+ 2 tblsp. sugar
How to Make COCONUT MERINGUE PIE
- Combine first 3 ingredients in heavy saucepan.
- In a bowl, combine milk & egg yolks. Gradually stir into sugar mixture & cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens & boils or bubbles. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat & stir in 1/2 cup coconut, butter & vanilla.
- Immediately pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- Cover the filling with waxed paper.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature)& cream of tartar on high speed of electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Beat 2-4 minutes until stiff peaks form & sugar dissolves.
- Remove wax paper from pie filling. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pastry. Pile it up to form a peak in the middle & make ridges in it instead of smoothing out for a better effect.
- Sprinkle meringue with 1/4 cup coconut.
- Bake @ 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in fridge completely before cutting.