Coconut Cream Pie
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
- Preheat oven 425*
- bake your one crust pie crust until crust is light brown then remove from oven and let cool.
- In a heavy sauce pan combine 3/4 cup of the sugar,salt and cornstarch.
- Gradually add the milk and whisk adding egg yolks one at a time... whisk well to combine all ingredients together.
- On medium heat cook the filling until it comes to a full boil, stirring constantly then reduce the heat and cook two to three more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded coconut. Let it cool for 25 minutes then pour into cooled baked pie crust.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks. add the remaining sugar a little at a time as you continue beating the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Spread over pie fllling then sprinkle the remaining toasted coconut over meringue.
- bake in the oven until the meringue is a nice brown color. Be sure to watch it carefully that it doesn't burn. Remove and let cool completely before serving.