Classic Pie Crust
The main thing of importance is the use of the Pasty Blender Tool and to cut up the shortening as fine as possible.
How to Make Classic Pie Crust
- 1In large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- 2Dump in the shortening.
- 3Use the Pastry Blender Tool to cut up the shortening into the flour mixture. Keep cutting until it resembles course cornmeal.
- 4Add cold water by the tablespoons and mix and mash with the back of a spoon. Add water until a firm dough forms.
- 5Scoop the dough up with your hands and roll into a ball.
- 6Sprinkle flour onto your rolling surface and rub flour on your Rolling Pin.
- 7Place dough onto the rolling surface and cover slightly with some flour and use Rollin Pin to roll the dough out into a circle large enough to fill the pie plate and there should be some extra dough over the edge of the place to create an edge.
- 8Carefully lift the crust, using your entire forearm, and place into the Pie Plate.
- 9Fold under the extra dough edges and use fingers to mold, even out and form a thick edge.
- 10Use fingers and thumbs to pinch and create a design or smash with tines of a forks to create a lines design.
- 11Brush edges of crust with beaten egg yolks for a golden, glossy look.