Classic Pie Crust
The main thing of importance is the use of the Pasty Blender Tool and to cut up the shortening as fine as possible.
How to Make Classic Pie Crust
- In large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- Dump in the shortening.
- Use the Pastry Blender Tool to cut up the shortening into the flour mixture. Keep cutting until it resembles course cornmeal.
- Add cold water by the tablespoons and mix and mash with the back of a spoon. Add water until a firm dough forms.
- Scoop the dough up with your hands and roll into a ball.
- Sprinkle flour onto your rolling surface and rub flour on your Rolling Pin.
- Place dough onto the rolling surface and cover slightly with some flour and use Rollin Pin to roll the dough out into a circle large enough to fill the pie plate and there should be some extra dough over the edge of the place to create an edge.
- Carefully lift the crust, using your entire forearm, and place into the Pie Plate.
- Fold under the extra dough edges and use fingers to mold, even out and form a thick edge.
- Use fingers and thumbs to pinch and create a design or smash with tines of a forks to create a lines design.
- Brush edges of crust with beaten egg yolks for a golden, glossy look.