Classic Pie Crust
The main thing of importance is the use of the Pasty Blender Tool and to cut up the shortening as fine as possible.
- 1 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 to 4 Tbsp
How to Make Classic Pie Crust
- 1In large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- 2Dump in the shortening.
- 3Use the Pastry Blender Tool to cut up the shortening into the flour mixture. Keep cutting until it resembles course cornmeal.
- 4Add cold water by the tablespoons and mix and mash with the back of a spoon. Add water until a firm dough forms.
- 5Scoop the dough up with your hands and roll into a ball.
- 6Sprinkle flour onto your rolling surface and rub flour on your Rolling Pin.
- 7Place dough onto the rolling surface and cover slightly with some flour and use Rollin Pin to roll the dough out into a circle large enough to fill the pie plate and there should be some extra dough over the edge of the place to create an edge.
- 8Carefully lift the crust, using your entire forearm, and place into the Pie Plate.
- 9Fold under the extra dough edges and use fingers to mold, even out and form a thick edge.
- 10Use fingers and thumbs to pinch and create a design or smash with tines of a forks to create a lines design.
- 11Brush edges of crust with beaten egg yolks for a golden, glossy look.