- eggs, separated
- 1/2 c
- flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 1-1 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2-2 1/2 c
- 1 3/4 c
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1/2 c
- cocoa, unsweetened plus 1 tablespoons
- egg whites for meringue
- pinch of salt
How to Make Chocolate Pie
- 1Bake pie shell.
- 2Combine above ingredients and cook on high until it begins to boil, turn to medium until thick. Pour into pie shell after cooling slightly.
- 3When completely cooled make egg white meringue sealing edges and bake until as brown as desired.
- 4I sometimes use cool whip as topping because my children never liked meringue. If using cool whip keep refrigerated.
Makes 1 large or 2 small pies.
I use a whisk to stir while cooking and cooling enough to put in pie shells to make consistency smooth.
This also makes a delicious creamy vanilla sauce that I use for banana pudding. Just leave out cocoa, cook to desired consistency for pudding and pour over wafers and bananas.
- 6**To make coconut pies,(leave out cocoa) add 1 to 1-1/2 cups (or as much as you like) coconut, change vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract.
Add coconut after cooking and I also sprinkle coconut on top of meringue or cool whip.