Chocolate-Eggnog Layer Pie
Chill time, not included in prep time.
- chill time, not included in prep time.
- envelope of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c
- cold water
- 1/3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 c
- refrigerated eggnog
- 1 oz
- (2 1/2) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- baked 9 inch pastry shell (pie crust)
- 1 tsp
- rum extract
- 2 c
- whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 c
- sifted powdered sugar
- garnish: semisweet chocolate curls
How to Make Chocolate-Eggnog Layer Pie
- 1Sprinkle gelatin, over cold water; stir, and let stand 1 minute.
- 2Combine 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, & salt in a saucepan. Gradually, stir in eggnog; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; add gelatin mixture, and stir, until gelatin dissolves.
- 3Divide filling in half; set half of filling aside, and cool. Stir melted chocolate and vanilla into remaining half of filling. Pour into pastry shell. Cover and chill, until set.
- 4Stir rum extract into reserved filling. Beat 1 cup whipping cream, until soft peaks form; fold into filling mixture. Spoon over chocolate layer; cover and chill.
- 5Beat remaining 1 cup whipping cream, until foamy; gradually, add powdered sugar, beating, until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Garnish, if desired. Makes one 9 inch pie; about 8 servings.