19 inch pie crust
1 1/2 csugar
1/2 cbutter, unsalted and cut into bits
5 ozevaporated milk
2 ozchocolate, unsweetened and cut up
2 chazelnuts, chopped with skins removed
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Hazelnut Pie
- Filling preparation: First, prepare the pie shell.
- Then, in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, stir together the sugar and water.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Let the sugar mixture come to a boil and continue to cook until it caramelizes; Do not stir the sugar as it cooks. (If it caramelizes unevenly, you can move it around by swirling it in the pan).
- When the sugar is a rich golden brown, remove it from heat and stir in the butter and evaporated milk gradually, mixing well with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and stir in the chocolate; Beat with a whisk until very smooth.
- Set the filling aside to cool for 10-15 minutes and then stir in the nuts.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 475.
- Assembly and baking: Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake for 10 minutes, until the edge is very brown and the center is bubbling.
- Once the pie has cooled to room temperature, about 1 hour, decorate it, if desired, by making small flowers with the whole hazelnuts and sliced almonds.