Chicken Pot Pie - PA Dutch Style
Most people boil the chicken, which is just fine, but I really love the roaster flavor & broth better. This dish also is great using turkey after the holidays!
- roaster chicken
- yukon gold potatoes (i don't peel them)
- celery stalks
- bouillon cubes
- container chicken base (i use knorr's homestyle stock)
- 12-16 oz
- pot pie noodles
- pinches of saffron threads
- salt & pepper
- bunch fresh curly parsley
- can cream of chicken soup (optional)
- pinch nutmeg
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie - PA Dutch Style
- 1I roast my chicken the day or night before with onion & celery stalks & about 1 cup of water, then I keep adding more water. Then, I refrigerate the broth & chicken separately until next day. Remove the broth & skim any fat off the top.
- 2In a large stockpot, add the broth & fill the pot up with water until it's a little over half-way full. Add 2 bouillon cubes, some salt & pepper, pinch of nutmeg, & saffron pinches. I put the onion back in to the broth to continue adding flavor, too. Add the chicken base or stock and heat this over medium for about an hour.
- 3Add the can of cream of chicken soup (this is not pure PA Dutch, but my friend did this one time & it made the broth amazing, so now I always do). Heat some more & then taste the broth. I will add more water or more bouillon, or pepper, as I see the need. I don't add more salt until the very end if it needs, as it normally does not.
- 4Discard the onion. Add the potatoes & carrots. Keep cooking over medium heat for about another hour. Get your chicken ready by removing skin & pulling meat off the bone. I use all the dark meat & one breast & save the other breast for later. When the carrots & taters are getting fork tender, add the chicken. Get this to a low boil now.
- 5When boiling, add the pot pie noodles. Cook on boiling with lid on for about 10-15 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley. Then turn off heat & just leave the lid on until you're ready to dig in! Use a fork or a spoon or both & make sure you drink that yummy broth leftover in your bowl. Enjoy!!!
- 6If you want to make your own pot pie noodles, there are recipes all over the web. This is one from an old PA Dutch cookbook: 1 1/4 cups of flour; 1 egg shell of broth or water; 1/2 tsp. of baking powder; 1 egg; pinch of salt. Mix the dry ingredients. Then add egg & water (or broth). Roll this out & cut into squares. Drop into boiling broth for 20 minutes.