Cherry Rhubarb Pie
- 3 c
- fresh sliced rhubard (1/4 to 1/2 inch)
- 16 oz
- pitted tart red cherries (i use a sm. scale to measure them)
- 1 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
- quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- pastry for a double crust pie (9 inches)
How to Make Cherry Rhubarb Pie
- 1In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, cherries, sugar, tapioca and vanilla. Mix well and let stand for an hour at room temp.
- 2Pour mixture into your pie plate lined with your pastry, top with other pastry. Vent and then flute the edges.
- 3Bake at 400° for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. (My greatgrandmother said if a pie doesn't bubble over it isn't a good pie! LOL!) I cover the edges with foil for the first 20 minutes of baking and then remove.
- 4Note: If you do not have access to fresh rhubarb or cherries, substitute with frozen rhubarb and use one can of pitted tart red cherries, drain the cherries before adding to the frozen rhubarb.