ChamoritaMomma's Chocolate Haupia Pie
1 (9-inch)unbaked pie shell
1 (14 oz) can(s)coconut milk, unsweetened
3/4 - 1 csugar, depending on sweetness desired
1 cwhole milk
1/2 ccorn starch
1/2 - 3/4 csemi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tubcool whip topping
·chocolate shaving, for garnish
How to Make ChamoritaMomma's Chocolate Haupia Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake crust for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, coconut milk and 3/4 to 1 cup sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Bring coconut mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer and slowly whisk in the cornstarch.
3. Continue stirring mixture over low heat until thickened.
4. Reserve 1/2 of the coconut mixture. Mix remaining half, while still warm, with the chocolate chips and whisk until completely melted and combine until smooth. Pour into bottom of baked pie shell; smooth with a spoon. Pour the reserved half of coconut mixture on top of chocolate layer and spread. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.
5. Stir cool whip a few times and layer on top of pie. Best if refrigerated a few hours or overnight. Slice and serve. If desired, garnish with chocolate shavings.
- **Depending on how "chocolately" you want it, add more or less of the chocolate chips. I prefer it around the amount I have posted.