★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar
- 1/3 c
- egg yolks, reserve whites
- 2/3 c
- evaporated milk
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/4 c
- 1/2 c
- pie shell, baked
- egg whites
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make Caramel Pie
- 1Combine 3/4 cup sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch.
- 2Beat egg yolks.
- 3Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- 4Stir into sugar mixture. Set aside.
- 5Put another 3/4 cup sugar into a heavy skillet.
- 6Over medium heat, stir constantly until sugar melts and cooks to a golden brown.
- 7Add butter and milk. Stir until butter melts.
- 8Still cooking over medium heat, slowly pour in sugar mixture and cook until thickened.
- 9Pour into a baked pie shell.
- 10To make meringue, whip the egg whites with sugar.
- 11Top the pie with the meringue. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Watch carefully so a not to burn.