Canadian Butter Tarts
2large or extra large eggs
1 cpacked brown sugar
1 tspvanilla extract or pure vanilla extract
1 Tbspwhite wine distilled vinegar
1/2 cbutter, melted
3/4 craisins /optional
3/4 cwalnuts or pecans, chopped
How to Make Canadian Butter Tarts
- 1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 3-inch tart tins/muffins pans.
- 2.Roll out your favourite pie pastry, use a minimum 4" round cookie cutter OR an empty 28-ounce can is also a good size cutter and then carefully fit your " round shells" into greased tart tins. Set aside.
(I generally use a sweet pastry....instead of regular pie pastry)
- 3.In a large bowl, beat eggs, then beat in brown sugar. Stir in vinegar and vanilla extract. Mix well, then stir in melted butter. Fold in raisins or dates and chopped nuts.(It has been suggested that instead of raisins, you could use dates...I would chop them to equal 3/4 cup. I will say that none of my winning ribbons were ever won with "dates" as an ingredient...lolol. For added flavour/flavor, try toasting the nuts lightly.)
- 4.Carefully spoon OR pour mixture into tart shells, ONLY filling 2/3-3/4 full. Place tins on baking sheets...they quite often boil over!
- 5.Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until set.