- 1/4 c
- butter, softened
- 1 c
- 2/3 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 2/3 c
- 1/3 c
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 1/2 c
- egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 oz
- semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make Boston Cream Pie
- 1PREPARE CAKE LAYERS: Heat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.
- 2In large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, 2/3 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and baking powder about 4 minutes until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- 3Spoon batter into prepared pans; bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center of each layer comes out clean.
- 4Remove layers to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5PREPARE EGG CUSTARD: In 2 quart saucepan, stir 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt until thoroughly mixed; slowly stir in 2 1/2 cups milk until smooth.
- 6Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute until mixture boils rapidly and thickens.
- 7Remove from heat; very slowly pour lightly beaten egg yolks into hot mixture, stirring rapidly and constantly to blend and keep smooth.
- 8Return mixture to low heat; cook 1 minute longer - Do not allow to boil.
- 9Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon vanilla.
- 10Cool completely, stirring frequently.
- 11PREPARE CHOCOLATE GLAZE: In small heavy saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter, stirring frequently until blended and smooth.
- 12Remove from heat;stir in confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup milk until blended and smooth.
- 13Keep warm, covered.
- 14To assemble: Using sharp serrated knife, carefully cut cooled layers in half horizontally.
- 15Place one layer, cut side up, on serving platter; spread with 1/3 cooled custard; Repeat with remaining cake layers and custard,ending with cake layer, cut side down.
- 16Spoon warm glaze over top of cake, letting mixture drip down sides.