Blue Ribbon Recipe
Three cheers for creativity! Blueberries and apples make sweet music together in this clever recipe. The Test Kitchen
4-5 cgranny smith apples, about 5-6 med apples
2 cmaine wild blueberries
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/2 cbrown sugar
3-4 Tbspall purpose flour
1/4 tspdried orange peel
2refrigerated pie crusts
How to Make Blapple pie
- Heat oven to 350.
- Place one crust inside pie pan.
- Core and peel apples.
In large bowl toss apples and berries together
- Mix sugars,flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, mace and orange peel together,add to apples and berries, add one Tbsp of vanilla and toss gently
- Place in pastry lined pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust.
- Seal and make slits in top.
- I brush mine with 1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp of water and sprinkle with sugar before baking
- To keep edges from becoming to brown cover with a 1 1/2 inch strip of aluminum foil.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until crust is browned.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Top with ice cream.