banana split cream pie
- one recipe nutty pie crust with peanuts, recipe follows
- 3/4 cup sugar
- five egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cup each whole milk and heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces milk chocolate bar, chopped
- 2 to 3 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- strawberry and pineapple ice cream toppings
- chocolate syrup
- chopped dry roasted peanuts
- maraschino cherries
How to Make banana split cream pie
- 1make the pie crust and set aside. For the pudding, mix sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, and salt in a pan. Slowly whisk in milk and 1 1/3 cup cream over low heat and cook until mixture is thick and comes to a boil. Cook one minute more, whisking constantly.
- 2Off heat, whisk butter and liqueur into pudding. Transfer pudding into a bowl and press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Chill until firm, two hours.
- 3For the ganache, heat 1/2 cup cream and chopped chocolate in a bowl in the microwave, one minute. Whisk until smooth. Pour ganache into bottom of crust. Chill until set, then layer banana slices over ganache and spread pudding over bananas.
- 4Top entire pie with whipped cream. Serve each slice with strawberry and pineapple toppings, chocolate syrup, peanuts and cherries. Makes 12 servings.
- 5Nutty pie crust with peanuts or almonds:
2 cups flour, divided
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts or toasted slivered almonds
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, diced, 12 tablespoons
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup ice water
process 1 cup flour and nuts in a food processor until finely ground. Beat butter, remaining 1 cup flour, and salt in a bowl of the stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until crumbly. Add nut mixture and water to butter mixture and beat until all butter is incorporated and a soft dough forms. Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill at least one hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Transfer dough to a 9 inch deep dish pie plate. Trim edge of dough with scissors leaving 1 inch overhang. Turn dough overhang under itself and crimp edges.Dock bottom of crust by pricking with a fork, then freeze 20 minutes. Bake crust lined with parchment paper, filled with pie weights or dried beans, on a baking sheet until edge of pie is set, 25 minutes. Remove weights and parchment. Bake crust until Golden, 25 minutes more then cool completely. Makes one 9 inch deep dish pie crust.