Bacon Onion Tomato Pie
Lolly St John
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This reminded us of a BLT. It does sound strange, but we loved the way all the textures and flavors were perfect together. It's sweet, smoky, and savory. This is a great way to use up the abundance of tomatoes this time of year. The Test Kitchen
19 inch pie shell
5large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
4 slicebacon, cooked and chopped
1sweet onion, sliced or chopped
1 1/2 csharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cRitz crackers, crushed
2 tspbutter, melted
2green onions (scallions), sliced
How to Make Bacon Onion Tomato Pie
- Prick pie shell with fork and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Fry bacon. Cook till tender. Drain, set aside.
- Peel and slice tomatoes to fill bottom of pie shell.
- Sprinkle with chopped onion and salt and pepper.
- Layer more tomatoes, salt and pepper (again).
- Mix mayo, bacon and cheese and milk.
- Spoon on top and pat down to cover tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter
- Sprinkle Scallions on top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.