Aussie Meat Pies
FOR THE FILLING
1 1/2 lbhamburger meat
2beef bullion cubes
1 tspsoy sauce
1 1/2 cwater
·salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cadditional water
FOR THE PIE BASE AND TOPPING
·your favorite pie crust recipe or store bought
1 pkgpuff pastry sheet, thawed
1egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon of water to brush on top
How to Make Aussie Meat Pies
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Cook meat and drain.
Add bullion,1 1/2 cups water,salt,pepper and nutmeg. Stir until it boils,reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat.
- Combine extra water (1/4 cup) with the 2 tablespoons of flour. Blend until lump free. Add this to the meat stirring well until meat boils and thickens.
Add soy sauce and mix thoroughly. Simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Grease and flour mini pie tins. ( I use foil ones)
Line with pie crust of your choice.
Fill with the meat mixture.
Cut puff pastry to fit over top of pies,sealing the puff pastry to the pie crust around the edges.
Brush tops with egg yolk/water mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 5 minutes, until golden brown.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 10 minutes more.
- These can be frozen easily. They also stay nicely in the refrigerator for 3 days.
In Australia, they are served with tomato sauce on top.