Aussie Meat Pies
- 1 1/2 lb
- hamburger meat
- beef bullion cubes
- 1 tsp
- soy sauce
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c
- additional water
- your favorite pie crust recipe or store bought
- 1 pkg
- puff pastry sheet, thawed
- egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon of water to brush on top
FOR THE FILLING
FOR THE PIE BASE AND TOPPING
How to Make Aussie Meat Pies
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Cook meat and drain.
Add bullion,1 1/2 cups water,salt,pepper and nutmeg. Stir until it boils,reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat.
- 2Combine extra water (1/4 cup) with the 2 tablespoons of flour. Blend until lump free. Add this to the meat stirring well until meat boils and thickens.
Add soy sauce and mix thoroughly. Simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- 3Grease and flour mini pie tins. ( I use foil ones)
Line with pie crust of your choice.
Fill with the meat mixture.
Cut puff pastry to fit over top of pies,sealing the puff pastry to the pie crust around the edges.
Brush tops with egg yolk/water mixture.
- 4Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 5 minutes, until golden brown.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 10 minutes more.
- 5These can be frozen easily. They also stay nicely in the refrigerator for 3 days.
In Australia, they are served with tomato sauce on top.