Aurora's Pie Crust
How to Make Aurora's Pie Crust
- 1In a large mixing bowl mix together flour and salt.
- 2Cut the chilled Crisco into the flour. Be careful not to overwork it.
- 3Mix together beaten egg, 2 tablespoons of the ice water, and vinegar.
- 4Pour water, egg, vinegar mixture directly into the center of the flour, Crisco mixture. Fold the flour into the center from the outside. Add additional water, if necessary, a little at a time. Stop folding when your crust starts to form a ball.
- 5Divide the crust into two portions and form into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill in the freezer.
- 6When the crust is cold roll out each disk on a well-floured surface. Roll your crust around your rolling pin and unroll into your pie plate.
- 7Roll or pinch the crust to your liking. Bake as suitable for your filling.
- 8***Lard may be used in place of the Crisco, but don't use butter.
***If you need to blind bake the bottom crust for a fruit or custard pie, use whatever dry beans or rice you have around the house. Just pour them into a little aluminum foil on top of your crust. Then save them for next time.
***I have found it works well to brush egg white or corn syrup on the bottom crust before baking so your bottom crust doesn't get so soggy.