Apple Tomato Pie
- 2 c
- green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 c
- apples, granny smith, thinly sliced
- 2/3 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1 pkg
- refrigerated pie crusts
How to Make Apple Tomato Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 400 F. Boil water, then immerse green tomatoes (about 3 minutes)to loosen skin, then submerge in ice water. Remove skin. Slice tomatoes with a bread knife or serrated knife to achieve thin slices easily.
- 2Thinly slice up apples. In large bowl blend together sugars, cinnamon, salt, and flour. Add tomatoes and apples, toss gently to mix.
- 3Place one of the rollout pie dough in 9-inch pie pan. Add the apple - tomato mixture. Dot filling with butter. Cover with top crust, flute edges and cut vents in top.
- 4Bake until tomatoes and apples are soft and crust is lightly browned. Bake 50 to 60 minutes at 400 F.
- 5BAKERS TIP: I like to skip submerge green tomatoes in hot water, so I either peel them by hand or not at all. I like to leave the skins on both tomatoes and apples for more fiber and texture! :)Bon Appetit
- 6BAKERS TIP: I generally make my own pie crust, but if you are in a pinch for time the store bought pie crusts work well too.