Apple Tomato Pie
2 cgreen tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 capples, granny smith, thinly sliced
2/3 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 Tbspall purpose flour
1 Tbspbutter, softened
1 pkgrefrigerated pie crusts
How to Make Apple Tomato Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Boil water, then immerse green tomatoes (about 3 minutes)to loosen skin, then submerge in ice water. Remove skin. Slice tomatoes with a bread knife or serrated knife to achieve thin slices easily.
- Thinly slice up apples. In large bowl blend together sugars, cinnamon, salt, and flour. Add tomatoes and apples, toss gently to mix.
- Place one of the rollout pie dough in 9-inch pie pan. Add the apple - tomato mixture. Dot filling with butter. Cover with top crust, flute edges and cut vents in top.
- Bake until tomatoes and apples are soft and crust is lightly browned. Bake 50 to 60 minutes at 400 F.
- BAKERS TIP: I like to skip submerge green tomatoes in hot water, so I either peel them by hand or not at all. I like to leave the skins on both tomatoes and apples for more fiber and texture! :)Bon Appetit
- BAKERS TIP: I generally make my own pie crust, but if you are in a pinch for time the store bought pie crusts work well too.