Apple Slab Pie
- 8 oz
- cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 c
- butter, softened, divided use
- 3-1/4 c
- unbleached flour, divided usage
- baking apples, peeled and sliced (about 9 cups)
- 1 c
- white granulated sugar
- 1/2 c
- firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp
- saigon cinnamon (*can use regular cinnamon if that is what you have)
- 3/4 c
- powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- apple cider or water
How to Make Apple Slab Pie
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Beat cream cheese and 1 cup (2 sticks) butter in large bowl with mixer until blended--I used my stand mixer. Gradually add 3 cups of flour, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Shape into 2 equal balls. Place 1 ball on a large slighted floured sheet of waxed paper, flatten slightly. Cover with second floured sheet of waxed paper. Roll out dough to 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch rectangle. Discard top sheet of waxed paper/ Spray a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan with cooking spray, invert over rolled out dough. Flip dough and pan together (Pan will be on the bottom). Remove second waxed paper sheet and gently press dough onto bottom and up side of pan.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup flour, sugars, and cinnamon. Toss apples into this mixture coating them well. Spread apples onto bottom of crust packing them in tightly. Dot top of apples with the remaining 1/4 cup butter cut or pinched into little pieces.
- 4Repeat the rolling out of remaining dough ball to make a second rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper, carefully flip dough over apples. Discard waxed paper. Tuck edges of dough down sides of pan to enclose apples. Make several slits in top crust to vent.
- 5Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until nice and golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile mix powdered sugar with apple cider or water. Drizzle glaze over top in a decorative manner. Cool 30 minutes before cutting. Makes approximately 16 servings. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Enjoy!