Apple Slab Pie
8 ozcream cheese, softened
1-1/4 cbutter, softened, divided use
3-1/4 cunbleached flour, divided usage
10baking apples, peeled and sliced (about 9 cups)
1 cwhite granulated sugar
1/2 cfirmly packed light brown sugar
2 tspsaigon cinnamon (*can use regular cinnamon if that is what you have)
3/4 cpowdered sugar
1 Tbspapple cider or water
How to Make Apple Slab Pie
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat cream cheese and 1 cup (2 sticks) butter in large bowl with mixer until blended--I used my stand mixer. Gradually add 3 cups of flour, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Shape into 2 equal balls. Place 1 ball on a large slighted floured sheet of waxed paper, flatten slightly. Cover with second floured sheet of waxed paper. Roll out dough to 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch rectangle. Discard top sheet of waxed paper/ Spray a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan with cooking spray, invert over rolled out dough. Flip dough and pan together (Pan will be on the bottom). Remove second waxed paper sheet and gently press dough onto bottom and up side of pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup flour, sugars, and cinnamon. Toss apples into this mixture coating them well. Spread apples onto bottom of crust packing them in tightly. Dot top of apples with the remaining 1/4 cup butter cut or pinched into little pieces.
- Repeat the rolling out of remaining dough ball to make a second rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper, carefully flip dough over apples. Discard waxed paper. Tuck edges of dough down sides of pan to enclose apples. Make several slits in top crust to vent.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until nice and golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile mix powdered sugar with apple cider or water. Drizzle glaze over top in a decorative manner. Cool 30 minutes before cutting. Makes approximately 16 servings. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Enjoy!