Apple Pie - My Mom's Way
I have made her apple pie many times....it all comes down to the taste that the juice the apples, cinnamon and lemon juice makes.
This pie has the perfect combination of tartness & sweetness..
With my Aunts crust and my Moms filling, I can't go wrong..Enjoy!!
- 2 - 9
- inch pie crusts, unbaked..i use homemade
- 8 - 10
- granny smith apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick ( for deep dish pie) 8 apples should do for a regular 9 in pie plate
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/3 c
- 3/4 c
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp
- lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp
- milk for top crust ( optional)
- sugar for top crust ( optional)
How to Make Apple Pie - My Mom's Way
- 3Prepare apples.
Peel and slice apples about 1/4 inch thick, place in a medium bowl; add flour, sugars, cinnamon, lemon juice, mix and set aside. (taste after they start making juice).
I leave these set for about 15 - 20 minutes, then stir again and taste.
If the juice is too sour, add some more sugar. It should be somewhat tart.
- 7Bake at 400 degree F. for 15 minutes; I cover the crust with foil to keep from getting too brown.
Make sure you place foil under the pie as it the juices may leak out.
Reduce heat to 350 degree F. and bake for another 50 to 55 minutes. I take a thin knife and slide it through one of the venting holes to make sure apples are tender.
I made one deep dish and one regular 9 in. pie. You may need to bake a deep dish a few minutes longer, obviously there are more apples to cook.