6 ozbutter frozen (12 tablespoons)
2 ozlard frozen (4 tablespoons)
12 ozflour (2 cup)
8 Tbspice water
·apple pix mix
3 mediumred apples (sweet)
3 mediumgreen apples (tart)
2 Tbspquick cooking tapioca dry
How to Make Apple Pie
- Place butter and lard in freezer for 15 minutes. When ready to use, remove and cut both into small pieces.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and salt by pulsing 3 to 4 times. Add butter and pulse 5 to 6 times until texture looks mealy. Add lard and pulse another 3 to 4 times. Remove lid of food processor and spritz surface of mixture thoroughly with water, (or just use 4-5 tablespoons of ice water). Replace lid and pulse 5 times. Add more water and pulse again until mixture holds together when squeezed.
Divide mix into 2 large zip-top bag, squeeze together until it forms a ball, and then press into a rounded disk and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place 2 metal pie pans in the refrigerator to chill.
Remove 1 dough from refrigerator. Cut along 2 sides of the plastic bag, open bag to expose dough, and sprinkle both sides with flour. Cover again with plastic and roll out with a rolling pin to a 10 to 11-inch circle. Open plastic again and sprinkle top of dough with flour.
Remove pie pans from refrigerator and set first pan on top of dough. Turn everything upside down and peel plastic from bottom of dough. Place second pan upside down on top of dough and flip again. Remove first pan from atop dough. Trim edges if necessary, place in refrigerator while making the apple pie mix.
- Peel and core apples, slice ¼ inch thick. Mix ingredients in a bowl till all apples are evenly coated.
- Remove the remining dough from refrigerator. Cut along 2 sides of the plastic bag, open bag to expose dough, and sprinkle both sides with flour. Cover again with plastic and roll out with a rolling pin to a 10 to 11-inch circle. Open plastic again and sprinkle top of dough with flour.
- Remove chilled bottom crust from fridge fill with apple pie mix. Take top pie crust on plastic sheet and flip onto pie. Remove plastic sheet. Crimp and decorate crust.
- Run QUICKLY under tap water, then cut vents in pie and place in a preheated 425F oven for 45 - 60 minutes. Or freeze unbaked pie - then place frozen in oven bake at 325F for ½ hour then raise temp in oven to 425F and bake for an additional ½ hour to 45 minutes.