1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease a 9" pie plate.
2) Roll out half of the pastry and fit into a pie plate. Brush with the melted jam and refrigerate.
3) Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4 inch slices. Place in a bowl and toss with lemon juice.
4) Combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
5) Layer half of the apple slices in the chilled pie shell and sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Repeat the layers. Cut the butter into small pieces and sprinkle over apples.
6) Roll out the top crust, place over the filling, trim and flute the edges. Cut 3 steam vents in the center.
7) Brush with the milk and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
8) Bake in the middle of the oven for 50-60 minutes. If the edges of the crust starts to brown too quickly, cover with strips of foil. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.