It is such a refreshing and light ending to any meal. It is my most "complimented" dessert.
This pie needs to be made 24 hours ahead of desired serving time. BUT it is WELL worth the wait!!
How to Make Angel Pie
- 1Prepare pudding/pie filling as directed on package. Cool completely;
While cooling, cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling.
- 2Beat 3 egg whites until frothy. Add 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar; beat until stiff.
Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy. Spread in well-greased 9 inch pan. (I use glass).
- 3Bake 45 minutes at 275 degrees, then 15 minutes at 300 degrees. COOL.
- 4Whip 1 cup whipping cream. Spread 1/2 over baked meringue. Cover with all the prepared, cooled lemon filling.
- 5Top with remaining cream. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Don't worry if the meringue cracks while cooking; just cover with the whipped cream.