The meringue shell is great filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream too.
How to Make Angel Pie
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch pie pan. In small bowl, beat egg whites-use 4 if you have a larger pie pan (reserve yolks) with cream of tartar until frothy.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating continuously until stiff peaks form.
- Spread or pour over bottom of prepared pie pan. Meringue puffs up during baking, so spread only to the edge of pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Turn oven off. Leave crust in oven to cool and dry. Don't rush things or your bottom crust will be soggy.
- In small saucepan, combine filling ingredients except whipped cream.
- Cook over low heat until thickened stirring constantly.
- Cool. Fold into whipped cream. Pour into meringue shell.
- Refrigerate overnight. If desired, garnish with thin lemon slices or grated lemon peel.