The meringue shell is great filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream too.
- eggs, separated
- 5/8 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 3/4 c
- 1/2 c
- 1 Tbsp
- grated lemon peel
- 3 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- reserved egg yolks
- 1 c
- whipping cream, whipped
How to Make Angel Pie
- 1Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- 2Grease 9-inch pie pan. In small bowl, beat egg whites-use 4 if you have a larger pie pan (reserve yolks) with cream of tartar until frothy.
- 3Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating continuously until stiff peaks form.
- 4Spread or pour over bottom of prepared pie pan. Meringue puffs up during baking, so spread only to the edge of pan.
- 5Bake for 60 minutes. Turn oven off. Leave crust in oven to cool and dry. Don't rush things or your bottom crust will be soggy.
- 6In small saucepan, combine filling ingredients except whipped cream.
- 7Cook over low heat until thickened stirring constantly.
- 8Cool. Fold into whipped cream. Pour into meringue shell.
- 9Refrigerate overnight. If desired, garnish with thin lemon slices or grated lemon peel.