Americana Key Lime Pie
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 Tbspunflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
1/2 clime juice
1 tspgrated lime peel
·few drops green food color
1 cheavy cream, whipped
19 inch pastry shell
1/4 cpistachio nuts, chopped
·lime slices for garnish
·heavy cream, whipped, to top
How to Make Americana Key Lime Pie
- Thoroughly mix gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in saucepan.
- Beat together egg yolks, lime juice and water; stir into gelatin mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture comes to boiling.
- Remove from heat; stir in grated peel.
- Add food coloring sparingly to tint pale green.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating to stiff peaks.
- Fold gelatin mixture into egg whites.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Pile into cooled baked pastry shell.
- Chill until firm.
- Spread with more whipped cream; edge with grated lime peel.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachio nuts in center.
- Garnish with thinly sliced lime placed in whipped cream mounds around edge of pie.