All Butter Pastry Recipe
How to Make All Butter Pastry Recipe
- 1--2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
--1 teaspoon salt
--1 teaspoon granulated sugar
--1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
--3 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 2In a food processor, process the flour, salt, and sugar until combined. Scatter the butter pieces over the flour mixture and process with 1-second pulses until butter bits are no larger than small peas, about 10 pulses. Turn the mixture into a medium bowl.
- 3Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold to mix. Press down on the dough with the broad side of the spatula until the dough sticks together, adding up to 2 tablespoons more water if the dough does not come together.
- 4Flour your hands generously. Tilt the rolling pin and sprinkle it with flour as you rotate the rolling pin. Divide the dough into two balls and flatten each into a 4-inch dish. Wrap both separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before rolling.
- 5On a lightly floured surface, form pastry into a ball; shape into a flattened round. (For two-crust pie, divide pastry into halves and shape into two rounds.) Roll pastry 2 inches larger than an inverted pie plate with a floured rolling pin. Fold pastry into quarter folds and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- 6Makes 8- or 9-inch two-crust pie.