All-American Apple Pie
Rev BJ Friley
Chilling time: 30 min.
Baking time: 40 to 50 min.
Oven temp: 375 degrees F to 400 degrees F
2 3/4 csifted all purpose flour
2 to 3 Tbspcold water
1/2 cbrown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cgranulated sugar
1 dash(es)ground nutmeg
1/2 cchopped walnuts
2 Tbspbutter or margarine
1egg, beaten for brushing pie
·9-inch pie pan
How to Make All-American Apple Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F to 400 degrees F
- For crust, combine flour, shortening, salt and butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually stir in water, a little at a time to form a dough.
- Divide pastry in half.
- Form each half to a flat round.
- Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- For filling, peel apples and cut into wedges.
- Combine sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Roll out half of pastry.
- Fit into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place half the apples in pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Top with remaining apples.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry.
- Cut into strips to make a lattice top.
- Brush dough with beaten egg.
- Bake at 375 degrees F to 400 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes until apples are soft and dough is lightly brown.
- Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream.