- 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs such as nabisco famous chocolate wafers
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ stick unsalted butter, melted, 4 tbsp.
- about ¾ pint premium butter pecan ice cream, softened
- about 3 cups kahlua chocolate sauce, recipe follows
- about 1 ½ pint premium coffee ice cream softened
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tbsp. kahlua
How to Make Adobe Pie
- 1In medium bowl stir together chocolate cookie crumbs, sugar and melted butter til mixture is damp and crumbly. Pat this crust mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie pan, using it all. Freeze the crust for 1 hour. Spread butter pecan ice cream in pie crust in even layer 1 inch thick. Spread 3 Tbsp. of the Kahlua Chocolate sauce over the ice cream and return pie to freezer til the ice cream is firm. Spread coffee ice cream over pie, mounding it slightly in center. Return pie to freezer. When ice cream is solid wrap it well in plastic wrap.
The pie can be kept in freezer for up to 1 week.
Soften pie slightly in refrigerator. Whip cream to soft peaks and flavor it with Kahlua. Warm remaining Kahlua chocolate sauce. With a thin sharp knife dipped in hot water, and wiped dry before each cut, slice pie into 6 to 8 wedges. Transfer each wedge to a dessert plate, spoon about 1/3 cup chocolate sauce beside and over each and garnish each with a dollop of whipped cream. Serve at once. Makes 1 nine inch pie.
- 2Kahlua Chocolate Sauce:
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, 6 oz
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chipped
¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
¾ cup lightly packed Dutch process cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp. powdered instant espresso
½ cup corn syrup
¾ cup whipping cream
½ cup Kahlua
1 tsp. vanilla extract
In medium pan, over low heat, melt butter and chocolate together, stirring occasionally til smooth. Whisk in sugar. Sift in cocoa powder, w2hisking as you do. Add the espresso and corn syrup. Slowly whisk in cream and Kahlua. Bring just to a boil. Stir often. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice and scraping down sides of pan with rubber spatula. Remove sauce from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and transfer sauce at once to a heatproof container with al id. Cool completely, cover and store in refrigerator. The sauce should sit at least 24 hours to mellow the flavor and texture. To serve, remove desired amount form container land warm it in double boiler or in a microwave oven, stirring til hot. Makes 1 quart
This intense and elegant coffee chocolate sauce keeps for weeks in re4frigerator and reheats perfectly in a microwave oven. It’s wonderful on ice cream and as a dip for strawberries and is indispensable drizzled around and over the above pie.