Acorn Squash Streusel Pie
FOR PASTRY & FILLING
1 boxone refrigerated pie crust shell, softened as directed on box (15 oz. size)
2 ccooked and mashed acorn squash, or one 17 oz. box or bag of frozen acorn squash, thawed
1 1/2 tsppumpkin pie spice
2 largeeggs, slightly beaten
1 cevaporated milk or Dairy sour cream
FOR STREUSEL TOPPING
2/3 call-purpose flour
1/3 clight brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cfirm butter or margarine
1/3 ccoarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
How to Make Acorn Squash Streusel Pie
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare pie shell pastry crust into 9-inch pie plate, as directed on box for one-crust filled pie; set aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl stir together acorn squash, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Add eggs. Beat lightly with a fork just until combined.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk until thoroughly combined.
- Carefully pour filling into prepared pastry crust shell.
- To prevent over-browning, cover the edge of the pie with foil, using an extra long 2-inch wide strip (or a pie shield if you have one). Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare streusel topping. In a medium bowl, combine flour and light brown sugar. Cut in butter, using a pastry blender or fork, until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Remove foil from partially baked pie. Sprinkle streusel topping crumbs evenly over top of the pie.
- Sprinkle evenly over top of the pie with chopped pecans or walnuts. Continue baking, about 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate within at least 2 hours. Cut into 8 wedges and serve.