Acorn Squash Streusel Pie
- 1 box
- (15-oz.size) one refrigerated pie crust shell, softened as directed on box
- 2 c
- cooked and mashed acorn squash, or one 17-oz. box or bag of frozen acorn squash, thawed
- 1/2 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- pumpkin pie spices
- 1/8 tsp
- 2 large
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 c
- evaporated milk or dairy sour cream
- 2/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/3 c
- light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 c
- firm butter or margarine
- 1/3 c
- coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
FOR PASTRY & FILLING
FOR STREUSEL TOPPING
How to Make Acorn Squash Streusel Pie
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare pie shell pastry crust into 9-inch pie plate, as directed on box for one-crust filled pie;set aside.
- 2For filling, in a large bowl stir together acorn squash, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add eggs. Beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually stir in evaporated milk until thoroughly combined.
- 3Carefully pour filling into prepared pastry crust shell.To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of the pie with foil, using a extra long 2-inch wide strip. Bake for 25 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare streusel topping. In a medium bowl, combine flour and light brown sugar. Cut in butter, using a pastry blender or fork, until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- 5Remove foil from partially baked pie. Sprinkle streusel topping crumbs evenly over top of pie. Sprinkle evenly over top of pie with chopped pecans or walnuts.
Continue baking, about 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate within at least 2 hours. Cut into 8 wedges and serve.