Zeppole... Fried dough sold at fairs
when I was younger I was in charge of making these at a church bizarre. we sold out with in three hours.. I had to make five times the dough the next night.. was such a success. Hope You all try these.
- 2 1/2 c
- unbleached white flour
- 2 1/4 c
- warm water... not hot ,
- 2 pkg
- active dry yeast quick acting
- 1 tsp
- table salt
- 1 tsp
- canola oil for frying
- 1 box
- powdered sugar for dusting the cooked zeppole
- cinnamon sugar for dusting
- small paper bags ( to put powdered sugar in when zeppole's are cooked)
- paper towel to drain the cooked zeppole
How to Make Zeppole... Fried dough sold at fairs
- 1Use a fry daddy for frying. If you don't own one use a deep pot and fill half way with oil.. oil should be 375*.Do not let oil burn higher. Use only canola oil. Be careful not to have any water running because it will splatter the oil.. keep pot handle holding oil turned in.. So you don't accidentally hit it and spill oil.. Safety first..
- 2in large bowl add two packets dry yeast, sugar,1/4 cup of warm water.. mix well and let sit for 5 minutes till you see tiny bubbles around the edges.. this is proofing the yeast so You know the flour and yeast will rise..
- 3As soon as the bubbles form in the yeast add the flour, salt, and warm water to the bowl. Mix well . should look like a loose pancake mix. should not be dry at all.. take a paper towel and dip in oil and surround the bowl with a wipe of oil.. cover the bowl with a towel. make sure it is a heavy towel completely covered. place some where warm. like the oven or a warm corner of the room in the kitchen.. let sit for 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours. it will have risen. very loose dough.
- 4Test oil in pot or fry daddy. Do this by putting the end of a wooden spoon in the oil. If it sizzles like it is cooking the oil is ready. Now you can drop these Zeppole's mix in two ways.. One is to take two table spoons and keep a little canola oil in a cup and dip them in the cup of oil each time before you pull out a heaping spoon of dough . Push off the dough with the other spoon into the oil.. You should have a light hand. Don't just plop the dough. Let it fall off the spoon lightly. If u want you can use your hands.. oil your hands and take a small amount and let drip in the oil very slowly.. make sure to keep your hands high enough not to touch oil.. As soon as dough hits oil it will start to sizzle and start to brown. As soon as you see a light brown turn the Zeppole's over to make an even fry on both sides. When they are fully light brown they should be cooked..take out with spider or slotted spoon . Let spoon stay over pot of oil and let excess oil from the cooked zeppole drip in pot till dry so no excess oil drops off on the the paper towel. now place on paper towel. Let sit for a minute then turn over to drain on other side on the paper towel.. for another minute. Put powdered sugar in paper bag and throw the cooked Zeppole in the bag and shake the bag. pour out on a plate.
- 5These are very crispy since the dough is not a heavy Pizza dough. I do have friends that buy pizza dough and fry the same way as this recipe does with the lighter dough.. the difference is the pizza dough fried is very heavy and doughy.. if made small they pass.. So I hope everyone tries these and has a ball making and eating them.