Windbeutel (Grandmas German Cream Puffs)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened at room temp)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. almond, vanilla, or orangeextract ( you can use your favorite or a combination of them to make several different flavors)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 c milk
- 2 eggs yolks and 2 egg whites (seperated)
- 2 and 3/4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, lemon, banana or any other extract you prefer
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream if desired
- pwdered sugar, sugar or cinnamon sugar
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
VANILLA CREAM FILLING
How to Make Windbeutel (Grandmas German Cream Puffs)
- 1Heat the butter and water to a rolling boil on stove top in a saucepan
- 2Stir in all the flour and beat quickly for about a minute, or until a nice ball forms.
- 3Take sauce pan off of heat and beat eggs in, 1 egg at a time, until this mixture is smooth and shiny looking.
- 4On an ungreased baking sheet drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls and be sure to space them about 3 inches apart.
- 5Bake 35 to 40 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven or until pastries are puffy and golden brown.
- 6Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on wire rack.
- 7Cream Cheese Filling: Beat Filling ingredients together in a bowl until fluffy and will hold form well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Vanilla cream filling: Mix egg yolks with the sugar and starch using some of the reserved milk to make a nice and smooth consistency.
In a saucpan bring the remaining milk to a boil, being careful not to scorch or burn the milk, then turn heat down to low.
While whisking vigorously stir the egg yolk mixture into the heated milk. Let this come to a puff and then take it from te heat immedietly. Continue to mix this for 40 sec to a minute.
Now is the time to add your extract to this. For a nice light texture you can either stir this while it is still hot into the stiffened egg whites or you can fold whipped cream into the cooled cream mixture.
- 8When ready to serve,split the pastries in half and using a fluted pastry tube, fill with the cream cheese mixture.
- 9Place tops back on pastries and sprinkle with powdered sugar, sugar or cinnamon and sugar and serve immediately.
Serve with a scoop of ice cream if desired : )