The Ultimate Chocolate Banana Strudel
This elegant pastry is actually easy and looks like you worked on it all day.
- phyllo sheets from package of frozen phyllo
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- bananas, firm but ripe
- 2 oz
- bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- confectioners sugar for dusting
- lightly sweetened whipped cream
How to Make The Ultimate Chocolate Banana Strudel
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface with a short side of phyllo nearest you, keeping remaining sheets covered with a damp towel. Brush with some butter. Top phyllo with each of the other 3 sheets of phyllo, brushing each one with butter.
- 2Arrange bananas one above the other, horizontally, on lower third of phyllo, leaving a 1-inch border on both sides (trim bananas if too long). Sprinkle chocolate over bananas, then drizzle with honey. Next fold sides of phyllo toward middle (over ends of bananas). Fold bottom edge of phyllo over bananas and roll up bananas in phyllo.
Transfer strudel, seam side down, to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or to a buttered baking sheet, then brush strudel with beaten egg. Cut 4 (1/2-inch-long) steam vents diagonally along top of strudel with a sharp knife. Bake in middle of oven until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Cool slightly on a rack, then dust with confectioners sugar. To serve garnish with a little whipped cream if desired.