Salted-Caramel Shortbread Bars
·2 cups unsalted butter, softened
·1 cup white sugar
·1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
·1 tablespoon vanilla extract
·4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
·1 (11.5 oz) jar smuckers salted caramel sauce
How to Make Salted-Caramel Shortbread Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil, extending over the sides. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Lastly, mix in flour (4 cups) until soft dough forms. Press HALF of the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Refrigerate the remaining dough.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes . Remove from the oven. In a small bowl combine caramel sauce, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and remaining 2 Tablespoons of flour. Mix well. Pour evenly over cooked crust.
- Crumble the refrigerated dough on top of caramel layer. Cover the caramel completely and use ALL of the dough (caramel will bubble up ... pay close attention to the edges). Sprinkle generously with sea salt. (I suggest tasting the caramel sauce to gauge how much additional salt is desired.)
- Return to oven and continue baking for an additional 25-30 minutes or until golden brown (very light) and the caramel is bubbly. Cool completely before cutting in to squares.