Quick N Easy Pastry Cream
How to Make Quick N Easy Pastry Cream
- Combine the cornstarch with the sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Lightly beat 4 egg yolks (in a seperate bowl)
- Pour 1/2 cup of the milk into the sugar and cornstarch mixture and stir well with a whisk.
- Blend the lightly beaten yolks into the cornstarch and sugar mixture
- Stir with a wooden spoon until it is completely smooth
- In a sauce pan or pot, combine the remaining 1 ½ cups milk. Bring to a simmer (do not boil) and remove the pan from the heat
- To temper, you can gradually add about one-third of the milk mixture at the time, but I like to drizzle the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture little by litte while I’m whisking, just in case. Don’t forget to whisk constantly!
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and continue cooking over low-medium heat, vigorously stir with a whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and the whisk leaves a trail in the pastry cream. It will take a little while to come to a boil – about 5 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat as soon as you reach that consistency (if you leave on a stove too long, it won’t be soft and creamy pasty cream), and add the vanilla extract and the butter. Stir well until they are well blended.
- Cover the pastry cream surface with plastic wrap and put into the fridge until the pastry cream is cool which takes about 15 minutes.