Powidl-Pofesen (Austrian French Toast)
You can of course use plum jam.
I posted this as a German recipe because JAP does not have Austrian recipes, but it is Austrian!!
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
8 slicestale white bread
4 Tbsppowidl (zwetschgen or plum jam)
·ghee for frying
How to Make Powidl-Pofesen (Austrian French Toast)
- Mix powidl with rum, let stand for a moment, then smear one side of each slice of bread with the powidl-rum mixture.
- Glue two slices together with the smeared side, so that you get 4 sandwiches.
- Beat together eggs, milk and and soak sandwiches from both sides so that they are soaked on the outside but don't get mushy.
- In a skillet, heat some clarified butter or ghee and fry each sandwich from both sides until golden.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve hot.
- This is great with vanilla ice cream, too.