Panamanian Vanilla Flan Recipe.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- large eggs slightly beaten
- 1(14oz) can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk
- 2(13oz) can(s)
- evaporated milk
- 1/4 tsp
- of salt
- 3 Tbsp
- vanilla extract (for the custar mix)
- 1 1/4 c
- sugar (for the caramel)
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract (for the caramel)
How to Make Panamanian Vanilla Flan Recipe.
- 1Make the caramel: Place the sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla in an non stick pan over medium fire (no water is needed. The sugar begins to melt and darken in the edges, stir from the sides into the center to melt evenly and prevent it from burning. After the sugar melts completely and obtains an amber color pour into baking pan. take about 4 minutes. Hold the pan with oven mitts and tilt to get the entire bottom and at least an inch of the sides. Leave to cool to allow caramel to harden a little bit. I use 8" or 9" pans that are 2 1/2 inch tall.
- 2Make the Flan: In a bowl mixt the evaporated and sweetened condensed milk, slightly beaten eggs, salt and the 3 tablespoons of vanilla. Stir slowly with a spoon or whisk until completely combined, pour into a sieve and slowly pour into the caramelized pan. Note: Do not over mix.
- 3Place in double boiler and bake at 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C. for 60 minutes until set but still soft. It will settle even more once is has cooled. Leave to cool on rack, and refrigerate until completely cold or preferably overnight. At serving time, run a knife or rubber spatula to separate all sides from pan, and invert flan into serving plate. You should get a perfectly golden brown topped delicious flan. Garnish with cherries, or any other fruit, whipped cream if you like. Enjoy!