OLD FASHIONED PENUCHE
Peggi Anne Tebben
She was still making it the year before she died.
- 2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cream (20%)
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- * 1/2 cup chopped nuts
How to Make OLD FASHIONED PENUCHE
- 1Combine first 5 ingredients in saucepan.
- 2Stir over med. heat to dissolve sugar.
- 3Cook to 234° or until a little dropped in cold water forms a soft ball. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat.
PEGGI'S NOTE: This only took about 5 minutes to reach the soft ball stage for me,once it started to boil, which is 250° on my candy thermometer. I tested it at 234° & it still would not form a ball until 250°.
- 4Add... butter.
- 5Let stand without stirring until bottom of pan is lukewarm (120°).
PEGGI'S NOTE: This took about an hour to cool to 120°. If forming into nut roll, add vanilla now & continue to cool until all the way cool & pliable enough to knead. This took me 2 hours of cooling total to form into somewhat of a log. Then I wraped in wax paper & froze for 30 minutes. Then rolled in nuts.
- 7Beat until creamy.
- 8Mix in ...1/2 cup chopped nuts.
*Toast pecans or walnuts in 250° oven for 1 hour first.
- 9Pour into greased 8 or 9" square pan.
Cut into squares.
- 10This is another way to prepare this as suggested in an old cook book.
EASY NUT ROLL: Turn out cooled fudge onto buttered waxed paper. Knead or fold over several times. Shape into 12" roll. Place on waxed paper covered with
cut-up nuts. Roll up in the paper. Chill. Slice.