My Mom's Strufoli
2 call purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbspwhiskey
1/2 Tbsppure vanilla extract
6 Tbspcrisco shortening
2 tspbaking powder
·corn oil-for frying
How to Make My Mom's Strufoli
- Mix all dry ingred together.
- Mix all wet ingred together.
- Then mix both together. Mix til dough forms into a ball.
- Then knead dough for 5 min. Seperate dough into 3 equal pieces. Take a section of dough and roll out to 1/8 inch thick rectangle. Cut into 1/2"wide x 2"long strips. Twist the strips and set aside covered. Do this for all the dough.
- Deep fry at 375 degrees til golden brown. Blot on paper towels.
- To coat with honey put fried strufoli in a large pot. Drizzle on top with honey. Heat and toss til well coated. Place on a serving platter and sprinkle with nonpareils.
- THIS CAN ALSO BE BAKED INSTEAD OF FRIED. JUST TAKE THE CUT TWISTED STRIPS AND PLACE THEM ON A PARCHMENT LINED COOKIE SHEET. BAKE AT 375 DEGREES FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES OR TIL GOLDEN BROWN AND CRUNCHY. THEN FOLLOW THE SAME DIRECTIONS TO COAT THEM WITH HONEY AND NONPARELIS.