Miss Katie's Traditional Greek Baklava
I haven't made it for my own family yet, so it hasn't been approved ... but I love it, and it brings back some really cool memories of my childhood (and a serious need to visit Greece before I die!)
★★★★★ 1 vote5
16 ozphyllo dough, cut to fit 13x9 pan
1 lbwalnuts, chopped
1 cbutter or margarine
1 tspcinnamon, ground
1 cgranulated sugar
1 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Miss Katie's Traditional Greek Baklava
- Toss nuts with cinnamon & set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough, cover with damp cloth.
- Butter bottom and sides of baking dish, line bottom of dish with 2 sheets of dough.
- Butter dough, layer 2 sheets. Repeat until 6-8 sheets thick. Top sheets should be buttered.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tbs of nuts over dough. Cover with 2 sheets of dough. Repeat this step until 6-8 sheets thick.
- Repeat STEP 4 until 4-6 sheets thick. Cut into diamond or square shapes of desired size.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Prepare sauce.
- SAUCE: Boil sugar and water until sugar is disolved. Add vanilla & honey, simmer about 20 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven, immediately spoon sauce over baklava. Allow to cool, serve in paper cups. Leave UNCOVERED or baklava will become soggy.