How to Make How to remove vanilla beans from the pod.
- Put the 2" of rum in a quart size preserving jar.
- Cut a tiny piece of the end of the vanilla bean off and set the whole been vertically in the rum with the cut part facing down.
- Put the lid on and leave for 2 1/2 weeks.
- When the time is up using your thumb and forefinger force the beans out of the pod, it should come out really easily. You can store this in a small jar in the fridge.
- Dry the empty pods and grind them up and use like cinnamon in breads or muffins, or whatever you like.