HOW TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE
Jo Anne Sugimoto
How to Make HOW TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE
- 1STOVETOP: Remove the paper label and pierce 2 holes with a can opener on the top of the can, across from each other. Place the can in a small pot and fill the water up to an inch below the top of the can. Turn the heat on to medium-high, watch the water, when it starts to boil, turn the heat down to hold it to a simmer. You will have to check on the water level and add more water as the level drops from evaporation. Do not let the water level drop below 1 inch from the top of the can or fill it too high. If the milk spills over, scoop it out with a spoon, but try not to let that happen. How long that you let it cook depends on the type of Dulce De Leche you want. A soft Dulce De Leche takes 3 hours and a firm Dulce De Leche takes 4 hours.
Remove the can with tongs and/or an oven mitt. Place the hot can on a rack to cool. Open the can when it is cooled, pour it into a bowl or a container with a lid. The top milk will be more fluid-like and the bottom will be very thick, so you will need to scrape it out and whisk the milk till it becomes smooth and homogeneous.
- 2DOUBLE BOILER: Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a double boiler. Place the top over boiling water, over low heat. Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until it becomes thick and caramel-like in color. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- 3OVEN: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a shallow glass pie plate or a baking dish. Set the dish within a larger pan, like a roasting pan. Pour water into the roasting pan, half way up the glass dish. Cover the glass dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Check on the water level during the baking process and add water as needed. Remove the baking dish from the oven to a wire rack to cool. Whisk until smooth.
- 4PRESSURE COOKER: Put a liter of water in the cooker with a can of sweetened condensed milk, remove the paper label and do not punch any holes in the can. Bring the cooker to a boil, wait for 40 to 50 minutes after it begins to steam. Shorter time - lighter and softer Dulce De Leche. Longer time - darker and firmer Dulce De Leche. Turn off the heat, wait till it cools down completely. While the cooker is pressurized by the steam, its pressure will counter balance the pressure build up inside the can and prevent it from exploding. Let everything cool down before opening the pressure cooker. If you attempt to open a hot or even warm can, an extremely hot jet of doce may explode out and cause severe burns and injuries. Wait until it is cooled down, first.
- 5SLOW COOKER: Put a can of sweetened condensed milk in the cooker. Add water to reach almost to the top of the can. Cook for 8 hours on low heat or until it is done. You can open the can and let a little milk escape. You may want to lay a paper towel over the top of the can so that the condensation from the cover doesn't drip into the can.
- 6MICROWAVE: Empty a can of sweetened condensed milk into a microwavable bowl. Microwave on medium power for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and whisk, to blend. Microwave on medium power for another 2 minutes. Be careful, it will be hot throughout the process. Remove and whisk again. Microwave on medium-low power for 16 to 24 minutes or until the milk turns to a caramel color and thickens, stirring every few minutes.
- 7If you are making Dulce De Leche in the saucepan, add three clean marbles to aid in stirring making it more effective.
- 8You can place a towel under the can if you are boiling it to quiet the clacking of the can.
- 9TIPS: If tightly covered and refrigerate, Dulce De Leche will keep for about a month.
You can eat it from the bowl.
Use it for cake fillings.
Use it between 2 cookies and dip it in chocolate.
Drizzle it on ice cream, dunk with cookies.
Frost with it, frost anything!