Home Made Vanilla Extract !
You can replenish it or start a new batch, when halfway through a jar.. make another batch.
I like the vanilla rum for this recipe as it already has a bit of vanilla flavoring. But you can use your favorite rum or vodka. Just always add the same type of alcohol when replenishing.
This makes a wonderful gift for your family and friends who love to cook! Just make some creative labels and you are all set!
*** The stronger the vanilla flavor.. add more vanilla beans (slice the beans lengthwise for optimal flavor).
How to Make Home Made Vanilla Extract !
- 1Sterilize a quart jar in boiling water bath. While the jar is cooling, prepare the vanilla beans by making a long slit down the length of the vanilla bean.
- 2Place the slit beans into the sterile jar. Pour the alcohol of choice over the vanilla beans in the jar. Seal the jar. Shake the jar 10 times. Set this in a cool dark place for two months (shaking it a few times during the wait).
- 3***Use as you would any vanilla.
- 4***As you use this up, add more alcohol. You can also add more vanilla beans one at a time as the flavor weakens because of additional alcohol.
*** This will last forever! Just remove the oldest beans if there are too many in jar.
***Put the pods out to dry, put them in tea can or sugar jar to add flavor to them! The vanilla bean is a gift that just keeps on giving!
- 5*** I get the optimal results when I use vanilla rum...
*** Keep in mind that you are using alcohol and consider this when preparing recipes