★★★★★ 1 vote5
- sponge cake or lady fingers
- 1 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsps cornstarch
- dash salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 pint whipped cream, sweetened
- strawberry jelly, optional
- 1 tbsp sherry flavoring
How to Make Floating Island
- 1In top of double boiler, scald milk. Beat egg yolks until thick, then beat in sugar,cornstarch and salt. Gradually beat hot milk into egg mixture.
- 2Return milk to double boiler and cook until mixture thickens. Stir in vanilla.
- 3Cover bottom of large bowl with broken cake pieces or lady-fingers. Sprinkle with sherry flavoring then pour the custard over all.
- 4Top generously with sweetened whipped cream, and dab bits of strawberry jelly over it, if desired. Serve from the bowl.