PS: Please don't let the steps of prepping and cooking scare you away from this Flan. It's a lot easier than it reads.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
·6 eggs yolks
·1 whole egg
·1 can of sweetened condensed milk
·1 can evaporated milk
·1/2 of 8 oz. cream cheese block (softened)
·2 tsp/ vanilla extract
·1/2 cup of granulated sugar
·1 tsp. ground cinnamon
How to Make Flan'ee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a blender mix together sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 6 egg yolks, one whole egg, cream cheese, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Blend on high for two minutes until well blended and foam appears on the top of the mixture Set aside to allow it time to settle.
- The Flan is going to cook in a bath of water. I use my large turkey roasting pan for this. You can use anything that is deep enough and wide enough to fit the cake pan you are cooking the Flan in.
- While waiting for mixture to settle - in a metal cake pan (always use a metal pan for this. Glass will burst and will scold you) melt sugar on medium high heat and add remaining teaspoon of vanilla extract as the sugar begins to melt and caramilize while stirring constantly.
- Once the sugar and vanilla extract has caramalized place the pan in the turkey roasting pan and fill cake pan over the caramilized sugar with the flan mixture with a spoon preventing the foam from filling in the cake pan. Discard foam after filling cake pan with the mixture.
- Cover the cake pan with foil tightly.
- With a cup fill the roasting pan with water until the water reaches to the half way mark of the cake pan(avoid adding too much water where water level covers pan)
- Cover the entire roasting pan with foil tightly and gently place in oven.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees (DO NOT OPEN OVEN while Flan is bathing/cooking.) When the flan has baked for one hour turn the oven off and allow the flan to sit in the oven for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove flan from oven after sitting for 45 minutes. Remove foil from the roasting pan. Using pot holders, remove flan from the water bath and place on a cooling rack. Remove the foil from the flan.
- Take a butter knife and gently skim along the outside edges of the flan separating the flan from the edges of the cake pan. Gently shimmy the flan allowing the flan to separate from sides of pan.Caramalized sugar water will seep up from sides. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When the flan has cooled take a large round plate and place over the top of the cake pan/flan. Make sure the plate has an edge that will hold sugar syrup. Flip the plate over with cake pan/flan on top gently dropping Flan into plate. Cover and allow to cool overnight.
- Serve cold. After cutting the flan in pie like shapes spoon the caramilzed sugar juices over the flan. I sometimes pour a shot of amaretto liqueur over the flan before serving.