Flan Caramelisado (Carmel Custard)
How to Make Flan Caramelisado (Carmel Custard)
- Preheat oven to Medium Low 350°F
1. Place 1 cup of sugar in a heavy pan. Stir sugar at low heat until it is liquid and light, golden brown.
- 2. Pour caramelized sugar evenly into six warm custard cups. Set cups aside.
- 3. Place milk and cinnamon stick in a medium-sized saucepan. Scald milk at medium heat and allow to cool.
- 4. Beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar to eggs and beat well.
- 5. Gradually add scalded milk to egg mixture, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add vanilla.
- 6. Pour mixture into caramel-lined cups (custard cups or creme brule' dishes). Place cups in a pan of hot water and bake in a 350°F oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Here in New Mexico, Flan is a favorite and very practical too, as it can be made ahead of time--up to one week in advance...great for the busy holiday preparations. The flan can be flamed too.
The flan needs to be warm before doing flambe'
Have a few Tablespoons of sugar ready in a small bowl to scatter on the food to be flamed just before igniting.
3.) Barely warm 50% alcohol liquor, such as brandy or rum--can be done in a ladle with a long wooden match or lighter held under it. When it catches aflame, pour the liquor over the food to be flamed. Or warm in small pan and when first bubbles come, pour over warm food and ignite.
4.) For safety, have a lid handy for snuffing the flame, if it is needed.